Saturday, June 21, 2014

Scrap Happy Saturday and new garden

I have finally given in to the many years of prodding from my dh - I've planted a garden. But not a garden in the dirt cuz I have never been one to enjoy digging in the dirt - no mud pies or sand castles for me. This garden uses no dirt and produces no weeds - it's The Tower Garden.




It's aeroponic. "Aeroponics is sometimes considered a type of hydroponics, as it does use water to transmit nutrients to plants and thus requires no soil." Read more about it HERE. I'm so excited about this new adventure. Fresh lettuces, spinach, squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, strawberries, basil and more.




I'm holding my breath with the hope that my deck space gets enough sun.

Rainbow Scrap Challenge

I'm thrilled that I've been able to finish this month's RSC projects - another pair of cosmetic/toiletry bags. There are now seven sets of bags ready for Christmas gift giving.


I've also completed my RSC charity quilt top for the month. This one will also go to Quilts Beyond Borders. The pattern is called Marmalade Squares by Katie Blakesley. To meet the size specifications at Quilts Beyond Borders, I made it a little longer than the pattern instructions at the Moda Bake Shop. Next time I would make the center of 5 inch charms one or two rows longer but otherwise I think it is a fun quilt.



Check out of finishes and RSC at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, TGIFF, Crazy Mom Quilts and SoScrappy.


Soscrppy

21 comments :

Nell's Quilts said...

Great job on the charity quilt. I agree another row or two of charm squares would give better balance between the background and the yellow but it still looks great. That garden sure looks interesting. Did you label the plants or were they suggested for ultimate use of space?

Angie said...

Marmalade Squares looks like a great scrap-buster quilt - lovely! Good luck with your garden, it sounds intriguing.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Doesn't Moda Bake Shop have some wonderful recipes? Love this one so eye catching!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

LOVE your RSC quilt!! Great job. Also love your garden - keep us posted on how it goes.... I could see doing one of those.... no snakes sneaking around ;-)

sophie said...

It IS a fun quilt and I love your idea of making a charity quilt top each month from rainbow scraps. The tower garden looks interesting ... I'm going to check it out.

Debi said...

I really don't enjoy playing in the dirt either. I hope your Tower Garden does fabulous and you reap great rewards. Really cute bags and love the quilt!

Debi said...

I really don't enjoy playing in the dirt either. I hope your Tower Garden does fabulous and you reap great rewards. Really cute bags and love the quilt!

Sandra Walker said...

Lovely quilt, and lovely cosmetic bags, so sunshiney-happy!! I will have to look up that pattern on Moda Bake Shop...bc I, too, have just a FEW (thousand) scraps...visiting from Sarah's "Can I Get a Woop Woop?"

Sandra Walker said...

OMG menopausal melon (mind) or lack thereof has hit me yet again....
"Can I Get a Whoop, Whoop?" Add the "h"!!!

Lorna McMahon said...

Love the sunny and fun charity quilt and the scrappy bags. Both are sew pretty! Enjoy the fruits of your garden. Lovely!

Dresden Quilter said...

Your quilt is stunning. I love its freshness and brightness!

Jennifer said...

L.O.V.E. the quilt for QBB!!! I made that one in coffee fabrics for one of my boys- but I sure love yours- it's soooo cheery!

Katie Z. said...

Ooh, your bags are fabulous (again)! They are so cheerful.

scraphappy said...

Love your yellow quilt. What a fun pattern! Best of luck with the new garden adventure. Hope it grows.

Sheila said...

I love your happy, yellow charity quilt. And your cute little pouches.

LA Paylor said...

such a fun quilt. Yellow makes me happy and always has. Great idea to make cosmetic bags and store them for Christmas.
LeeAnna
not afraid of color lapaylor.blogspot.com

Needled Mom said...

Your yellows are all so pretty and I love that tower garden.

KatieQ said...

The garden idea sounds really neat. I love that you can have the plans right out on your deck without all the fuss. It avoids having the deer munch every before you can get to it.

The bags look great as usual. One of these months I'll have to try making one.
The quilt is really cute. It would be nice to try it with a few more charm rows. I'll do anything to use up scraps.

Sarah Craig said...

Really pretty quilt top, Melinda! and Quilts Beyond Borders is such a great cause to donate to. Whoop whoop for you!

Deb A said...

What a neat idea for a garden!
Love the bags and the quilt you made of your yellow scraps is lovely.

KatieQ said...

I haven't seen you post in a long time. Hope everything is okay.