Monday, March 31, 2014

The end of March

I knew when I set my goals for March that they were unrealistic since I would be unable to do any sewing for twelve days while I was babysitting dgd, Paige. But I decided to set the goals with an entire month in mind in case the babysitting got canceled. Thankfully, it didn't and I had a blast with Paige. I'm still happy with the month's accomplishments under the circumstances.

March Goals
  • St. Patrick's Day pillowcase DONE 3/3
     
  • Winter Solstice BOM - block #3 - actually this month was two medium sized stars instead of one large one -  DONE 3/30
    photo from starrfabrics.danemcoweb.com

  •  Rainbow Scrap Challenge - Two "Caribbean Teal" bags - DONE 3/23
  • Quilts Beyond Borders - teal Crossroads quilt top DONE  3/22
  • Tumbler quilt - cut out and sewn DONE 3/28
  • 15 yards green - wash, iron and cut into 2.25" strips DONE 3/3
  • 5 yards yellow - wash, iron and cut into 1.5" strips DONE 3/3
  • Notre Dame top - quilted - not done
  • Jennifer Paganelli UFO - top completed - not done
  • Film at Five UFO top - quilted and bound - not done
  • Dad's Memorial top - quilted and bound - not done

I'm disappointed with what I accomplished over the weekend in terms of meeting my March goals. I started off well, cutting and piecing the Tumbler quilt for my brother. Then I pieced the Winter Solstice BOM #3. Now, I would have had to time to get the Notre Dame top quilted and off the longarm IF I hadn't started a new leader/ender project:


Two inch charms. I had a small tote pretty full with what I would now guess was about 300 charms precut. I made this first 10x10 block from that tote. Unfortunately, there were many more repeats in there than I thought. I definitely plan to use repeats but I didn't want three blocks using the same collection of fabrics. Soooo, I pulled out more scraps, strips, nickels and the GO and did a lot of cutting whenever I wanted a break from the sewing machine. I know have at least another 400 charms cut. I am cutting 4 of each fabric and dividing them into four separate piles. I will try to keep each pile for each 1/4 quadrant of the quilt top.

I continued doing leader/enders through out the weekend as I worked on the Tumbler and Winter Solstice projects. With the new assortment of charms I made 26 more 10 charm long strips.


I haven't joined the strips yet into blocks. This is a lot of fun but takes a lot of time. On April 1st I will put it away so I can make another charity quilt top as a leader ender (I'm trying to make one each month) in the RSC color of the month - this month is purple. Once it's done I can pull out the postage stamps again. I'll continue to cut more charms while watching tv in the evenings.

Check out what others are working on at Patchwork Times and BOMs Away at What a Hoot.




3 comments :

LynCC said...

Wow, Melinda! You got a lot done even without counting the babysitting days! Love the plaid tumbler quilt and the BOM stars :)

Judy D in AZ said...

IF.... That little word has lots of impact. However, I think you accomplished quite a bit considering the baby fun time and detour to scrappiness.

Nice work!

carla said...

Hi!!!! Your really got a lot done and I love your quilts!!!! Very pretty!!!! Time with Grands is the most fun ever!!!! I follow over from What a Hoot!!!! Thank You