Sunday, January 12, 2014

Homespuns on the wall

 I am only half way thru cleaning up my sewing room but it has been such a joy to find enough space to actually sew again. I have a newly invigorated mojo and I am excited to get to work on UFOs and new projects I am contemplating. Since my UFO list exceeds 80 I must focus on them - maybe two UFOs to one new project.

With that in mind, I've pulled out my Homespun Bear Paws project. The Bear Paw blocks had been from a swap from the late 90s (I think). Last year I decided on a pattern plan and made progress on pairing up four paws for a larger block and making several alternate nine patch blocks. Last week I pulled out the project again and got the main part of the top assembled. I am now working on the 14 border sections.

2 of 14 border sections



I am loving how manly this quilt will be. It will be 76 x 96 - much bigger than I had expected.


This quilt will have used up 24 of the Bear Paw blocks. I still have 46 blocks waiting their turn to become part of a quilt. I *am* happy to be getting to the bottom of my homespun bin. Of course it was helped a lot by the making of the Homespun String Quilt - another UFO waiting quilting.


Check out other walls over at Patchwork Times.

9 comments :

Jayne Honnold said...

Found you through the linky party at Sew Many Ways. Love, love, love your "manly" bear paw quilt. Very striking! Thanks for sharing with everyone!

Sue Daurio said...

wow that bin of homespun fabric must have been overflowing. What beautiful quilts you made with them.

Ramona said...

Your bear paw quilt is just gorgeous. I love all of the plaids and how they play with the white. Your string quilt is beautiful, too. Great ideas for men.

Anonymous said...

You controlled the values so well! It makes a two-color pattern work in scrappy.

PeggyinNO said...

Holy moly - 80 UFO's! Did I read that right? So glad you pulled out the "manly" Bear Paw quilt! That is a beauty and deserves to be finished! Can't wait to see it done!

Mary Pat said...

Your bear-paw quilt is amazing. I love , love it. I have the string homespum quilt almost completed and I started just a mere 4 or 5 years ago so I know the feeling. I love homespuns, they are just so warm. Very nice work...thanks for sharing.

Mary said...

Lots of Scrapiness going on here.. I like the way you set the Bear Paw Blocks with chains. Glad you linked up!

Candace said...

What a fun setting for a Bear Paw block. It looks great!

Kate said...

Your Bear Paw blocks look great, love the setting you picked for them!